Born in Syros (Cyclades
island), 1932. His father Manolis was a clerk in the Eastern Telegraph Company. His mother Maria, arrived to the island as a refuge (1922) from Cydoniae/Ayvalik (Asia Minor Ionian Costs).
After Syros and Chios (1934-1938), Athens(1938-1940) he lives in Kifissia (Northern suburb of Athens) since 1940 till today.
Married with Maria Machaira (1963), he has two children: Manolis (1964) and Angelina (1965).
Got his diploma as Architect Engineer by the High National Technical University (ΕΜΠ Polytechnion) in 1957. Worked as architect in the Technical Studies Department of Telecommunication (ΟΤΕ) and in the Water Company of Attica and Southern Greece. In the same time, he mostly worked in individual / private technical projects from 1957 till 1995, in all Greece, but especially in Athens and kifissia's areas.
Ηe served as lieutenant in the Hellenic Navy of war - Division of public navy works (1957-1960).
THE CONNECTION WITH PHILATELY
He is occupied with Philately for more than sixty five years.
A. CONNECTION WITH THE NATIONAL PHILATELY
- Since 1964 member, 2005 - 2007 President and today V-President of the Hellenic Philatelic Federation
- President or Jury member in various exhibitions in Greece and the Balkans
- President of the International Jury and General Commissioner in “ATHENS 1896-1996”
- President of the International Jury in “ATHENS OLYMPHILEX 2004”
- Founder (1986) and President for twenty years of Kifissia's Philatelic Club – Olympic Philately
- Founder member and General Secretary of the “Greek Association of Olympic Philately and Documents”
- Member of the “Committee for Olympic Philately and Memorabilia” (ΕΦNAOA) of the Hellenic Olympic Committee
B. CONNECTION WITH INTERNATIONAL PHILATELY
- National Commissioner of Greece in various F.I.P. exhibitions (since 1972)
- National Delegate in varius F.I.P. Congresses
- International Juror in Traditional Philately (after examinations test in Melbourn AUSIPEX ’84)
- International Juror in Thematic Philately and Aerophilately (since 1985)
- Member of the B.D. of the F.I.P. Committee “Against Fakes and Forgeries” (1988-2001)
- President of the Experts Committee in the “FEPA” “Brno 2005„ exhibition
- Member of the Expert Committee in the “FIP Word Championship ISRAEL ’08” Exhibition
B1. FORMATION OF COLLECTIONS AND PARTICIPATION IN F.I.P. EXHIBITIONS
- “The Olympic Issues of Greece 1896-1900/01-1906” (Traditional Philately)
- “The Lithographic Issues of Greece 1913-1926” (Traditional Philately)
- “The Large Hermes Heads Issues of Greece 1861-1886” (Traditional Philately)
- The Last Issue of Large Hermes Head 1880 - 1886 (O.F.E. – Traditional)
- The 1906 Olympic Issue of Greece (Traditional Philately)
- The “Precursor of Monaco 1948” (O.F.E. – Traditional)
- “The Greek Post Offices in Asia Minor 1919-1922” (Postal History)
- “Spartakiada 1935 : the postal rates in Soviet Union” (O.F.E. – Postal History)
- “The Postal History of Ancient Olympia 1899-1964”
- “International Zeppelin Flights 1908-1938” (Aerophilately)
The above-mentioned collections have been awarded since 1964 with more than 300 medals, diplomas, special awards and distinctions all over the world, among which 17 Large Gold medals in F.I.P. exhibitions ( see special field of awards).
B2. GREAT AWARDS OF COLLECTIONS IN F.I.P. EXHIBITIONS
- Large Gold Medals (Italia ’85 Rome, Capex ’87 Toronto, Praga ’88)
- Large Gold Medals in the F. I. P. CHAMPIONSHIP CLASS (Philexfrance ’91, Polska ’93, Braziliana ’93, Bangkok ’93)
B3. INVITATIONS in the COURT OF HONOR
- Philakorea ’94
- Singapore ’95
- Istanbul ’96
- Cyprus ’02
as well as in almost all the OLYMPHILEX ’S since 1985.
- fFRPSL (~1972)
- ISOH (International Society Of Olympic Historians, 2007)
- AIJP (2010)
Michalis E. Tsironis has a rich background in Philatelic authorship.
His studies or articles, especially those related to the Olympic Philately fields, have been published in F.I.P. Publications, in catalogues of F.I.P. Exhibitions, and in special issues of FFE. Some of these, have been translated in twelve languages in all over the world.
Among them, the study "The 1906 Olympic Issue of Greece" (Greek-English languages) is honoured with 10 Gold Medals in “F.I.P” and “FEPA” exhibitions and among others exists in the CIO (Lausanne) and the Deutsche Sporthochschule (Koeln) Libraries.
It also was honoured with the 2008 Praise of Academy of Athens.